Tick Removal & Lyme Disease Testing in Hamden, CT
Docs Urgent Care in Hamden, CT provides affordable testing and treatment for anyone who has been bitten by a tick. Our board-certified physicians and medical staff test and treat patients for Lyme disease resulting from tick bites. We welcome walk-in patients every day in our Hamden, CT office. If you favor making an appointment, our normal hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday to Friday. We’re also open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the weekends.
To expedite your visit, download our online form and fill it out before your appointment with our staff at the DOCS Urgent Care in Hamden, CT. Don’t forget to bring your photo ID and current health insurance. We take most major insurance plans.
QUALITY, AFFORDABLE CARE
DOCS URGENT CARE – HAMDEN
1700 Dixwell Ave.
Hamden, CT 06514
PHONE: (475) 238-7972
FAX: (475) 238-8609
WEEKDAYS : 8AM-6PM
WEEKENDS : Closed
Why get tested?
Long walks and hiking are exceedingly pleasant during the summer and fall months. Still, ticks also seem to be everywhere during this period. Ticks can transfer bacteria, germs, and viruses that can be harmful to our health.
Not all ticks bite but the Ixodes Scapularis does and it occupies the woods and brush all over the eastern portion of the U.S. This species is known to be a carrier of Lyme disease. If you’ve been hiking in wooded or dense brush regions, check for ticks before heading home.
If part of your job includes performing work in these areas, don’t forget to check periodically for ticks. When you get home, make certain to shake off your clothes and check again before showering. If you think you’ve been bitten, then you need a doctor to examine and test you for Lyme disease in our Hamden, CT clinic. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Early identification and treatment are a fundamental part of reducing your risk of serious complications.
getting checked for lyme
To avoid detrimental health problems from Lyme disease, visit our DOCS Urgent Care in Hamden, CT to be examined by our medical staff. We will work swiftly to give you the necessary treatment. If you’ve just found a tick on your person or notice a bulls-eye rash, then it’s possible that you’ve been infected. If any of the symptoms below apply to you, visit our office as a walk-in or secure an appointment with our professionals.
Some Symptoms of a Tick Bite Will Include:
- Headaches, Fatigue, Muscle Aches
- Rash (Usually seen at the site of the tick bite)
Diagnosis & Treatment of lyme disease
We administer a blood test known as the Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test. It looks for antibodies developing in response to the Lyme disease. It sometimes gives a false positive in the early stages of the disease. The Western blot test is also given to confirm the diagnosis and other problems.
It’s often challenging to identify Lyme disease in the beginning weeks after infection, which makes it critical to note all symptoms before visiting the clinic in Hamden, CT. If we can classify it in the starting stages of development, then we can treat it more effectively. If it’s permitted to progress without treatment then it often causes more damage, which can remain permanent.
Protect Yourself From Tick Bites
- Avoid Wooded Areas and High Grass
- Walk in Center of Trails
- Wear long sleeves and pants when working with brush or in other common area of ticks
- Use repellents that contain 20-30% DEET
- Use products that contain 0.5% permethrin on clothing.
- Examine clothes, backpacks and pets after coming back from any outdoor activity
- Use fine-tipped tweezers to grip the tick as close to the skin surface as possible. Pull straight up without squeezing or twisting it. If you twist, the head might break off beneath the skin.
- After removal, clean the tick bite area with soap and water.
- After cleaning, disinfect with rubbing alcohol or iodine.
- Never crush it with your fingers. Dispose of the tick by wrapping it in tape, placing in sealed bag/container, submerging it in alcohol, or by flushing it down the toilet.
- Wash your hands thoroughly when you have finished.
The Care When You Need It in Hamden
Docs Urgent Care in Hamden, CT is part of a broader Docs Urgent Care network that’s available to assist patients with Lyme disease testing and treatment. After your diagnosis, our medical specialists will work promptly to give you affordable and effective treatment. Our doctors in our Hamden, CT clinic have years of expertise in treating Lyme disease. Find out more by visiting our clinic, today.